The Monday Top 5!
Top 5 reasons that hats are my favorite thing to knit:
5. They are very portable, and I do most of my knitting on the bus.
4. Knitting a hat is a great way to try out new yarn - you only need one skein if you're not using cables. They're also a great way to try out new stitch patterns. You can even use them as gauge swatches for larger garments.
3. Funky clothes don't really work on me. I don't look funky or cool; I look like a weirdo. But anyone can pull off a funky hat.
2. Instant gratification - I can usually finish a hat the same day I start it. I've even completed some of my chunkier hats in 2 hours. That's really saying something, because I am the Slowest Knitter Ever.
1. I like doing the "math" of taking my chosen stitch pattern and a) adapting it for knitting in the round, and b) figuring out how to make the decreases work nicely with the pattern.