1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I am currently having a love affair with Japanese yarn, especially Noro (Iro and Silk Garden) and Diakeito (Diamusee and Diagrovefine). I also love Koigu, Reynolds Odyssey, Classic Elite Bazic, Rowan Cashsoft and Manos del Uruguay. I dislike acrylic, "fun fur" and novelty yarns. I also don't like knitting with cotton, although I do like to wear cotton garments. Same goes for alpaca (am I the only person on earth who doesn't like knitting with alpaca?). I am unfortunately allergic to angora.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
(Hiding in embarrassment) A plastic bag. From the supermarket.
3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for a little over a year. I would consider myself an intermediate knitter. I can knit in the round, and do kitchener stitch, and stuff like that. I knit texture very well, but when I have to knit large areas of plain stockinette or garter stitch, my knitting can get uneven. I haven't tried my hand at lace yet.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I like white florals, especially jasmine. To get an idea of my general fragrance preferences, I really like Thymes Filigree, Lancome Tresor, and Diptyque Figuier.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Definitely a sweet tooth. For the most part, I prefer plain dark chocolate to any type of candy, but I do get occasional cravings for Twizzlers and/or M&M's.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
No other crafty hobbies here.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like classic rock and 80's prog rock. No, my stereo can't play MP3s.
9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
My favorite color family is the mossy green range. I also love dark, rich reds and vermilions. Also greys of any shade. Beiges/camels/browns are OK. Blue is OK. I don't like yellow, or yellowy greens or oranges. I don't like purple by itself, but I love lilacs and plums in combination with mossy greens, browns or greys. I am also not much of a pink person.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
No pets. One 22-month old son.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes to all.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Hats. No contest.
13. What are you knitting right now?
A shrug in Noro Silk Garden, and a capelet in Koigu.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Are there people who don't? Really?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I'm a total Addi Turbo snob. They're all I use.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No, but I've been thinking about getting one. Soon, before my husband kills me (he's my official detangler, and somehow I always get into trouble).
17. How did you learn to knit?
I taught myself from books and the Internet.
18. How old is your oldest UFO?
I have two sleeves of a sweater I started for my son right after I learned to knit. I'm never going to finish it. He's already too big.
19. What is your favorite holiday?
20. Is there anything that you collect?
Teapots and nesting dolls.
21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I subscribe to Vogue Knitting. I'm not sure why I haven't subscribed to Interweave Knits, since I've bought every issue since I started knitting, plus I ordered some of their back issues. As for books, I've been ogling Wrap Style, Great Knitted Gifts (the Shackletons), Knitting Rules (McPhee) and One Skein (Radford). I have "Naturally Noro" but I would love to get my hands on any other Noro pattern books. Two yarns I've been dying to try out are Karabella Margrite Bulky and Artyarns Ultramerino 8. Also Koigu Kersti - the KPPPM is so easy to find, but I can never find Kersti.
22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I am in dire need of a class in finishing techniques. I have books, but somehow they're not the same. I would also like to try my hand at Fair Isle knitting. I'm obsessed with the short-row Fair Isle pullover in Loop-d-loop.
23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Not a sock knitter - I have no patience for fine gauge. My feet are size 7 1/2 B.
24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)